Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Advanced Directives--provoked to think!

Because of the things that the Lord has permitted me to face over the last few years, I've learned to look at the important issues of life with a little more intensity, thought, and from angles that I had never viewed things from before. Additionally, I'm no longer satisfied with assuming that those I communicate with understand key words the same way that I do. I now strongly believe that because people really do pour their own definitions into certain words, if at least one person in a conversation doesn't actually provide their understanding of the definition of a key word, it's incredibly easy for the two of them to move forward thinking they're on the same page when in reality, they're not.

Not many months after my diagnosis with Lou Gehrig's disease, (ALS) in 2004, a very abrupt neurologist that examined me told me in a very frank manner that I needed to create an Advanced Directive, (AD) because of what I would be facing ahead. There was no emotion visible, no hesitation, no change of inflection in her voice. She said it with the same demeanor that she probably used when she told someone that she had to work late. At that time, I wasn't totally sure what an AD was, but I was sure that I didn't want to let THIS doctor know that I didn't know.

Of course, I researched it later that day and discovered what an AD was and determined that although I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't encourage a person to create one using the same sort of people skills that this doctor did, I do recognize that putting one together is a wise thing to do.

And one of the issues that must be addressed in creating an AD for an ALS patient is: Under what conditions will the respirator be disconnected, or unplugged? To come to a reasonable conclusion about that decision, you, and your intimate loved ones, must come to a consensus regarding the definition of LIFE itself.

Now having been involved with the pro-life movement and ministry to the disabled and elderly for many years, I had some awareness of the various ways people refer to life issues, and I was familiar with the term "quality of life" to a degree. But even in that phrase, there is an assumption that people are understanding the word "life" in the same way. Here's a newsflash: They're not!

So, I set out on a journey to find out what the bible had to say about "life", because after all, who would know more about it than the one who IS life and who gives it to everything and everyone else that has it? I also stumbled down the scientific, non-spiritual path to discover what those headed in that direction had to say about it.

And I have come to some conclusions. Anyone out there interested in what I've discovered? If so, I'll meander that direction for a while. If not....well... I may meander that direction anyway, just not as soon.

4 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Hi Jeff,

I am interested in hearing what you discovered the definitions of life in the bible and secular thought are. Yes, most definitely I want to hear more!

Unknown said...

Hi Jeff,
I too am very interested in what you have found in the Bible concerning "life".
As an assistant Chaplain and being around life and death situations, I need to know all that God has to say about it. Thanks and God bless you.Love, Shirley

Amenlady said...

Hi Jeff,
I look forward to read what you have discovered in His Word. I have been considering being prepared more thoroughly than I currently am. After watching what Joyce has gone through, I believe it is only loving and responsible to make as many decisions regarding the end of this life as I possibly can. Thanks for all that you do for the body of Christ Jeff. I thank God for you and I look forward to what you have discovered. May the Lord guard and guide us in our every path and be glorified in and through it all.

Mike said...

Hi Jeff,

Finally a blog with good things to say. I'm coming back often to read more. I've been helping facilitate bible study and Sunday services for senior brothers and sisters and training as an assistant chaplain for about two years. I have a hard time knowing what to do in the hospital that is why I pray more. BTW, I've been a techie guy since birth almost and I'm impressed with what you can do.
1 Corinthians 9:22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

Mike