Friday, July 20, 2007

30 years...and counting

This Sunday, July 22nd, Helen and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The Lord has blessed us with the opportunity to go on a 7 day cruise out of Long Beach, California, to Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas--what's called the Mexican Riviera. We're going with some close friends from our church in Mesquite and we're really looking forward to it. (Even more so, now that we've had our grandkids here the past five days--we're exhausted and ready for some R&R.)

I was in the Army and stationed in Japan when we got married. I flew back to Southern California, our wedding ceremony took place on Friday and we left for Japan on Sunday. Looking back at it, the grace of God was SO evident towards us before we ever came to know Him in a personal way. Considering I was 18 and Helen was 16 on the day we married, the deck was really stacked against us. Of course, unbeknownst to us, our Merciful God was the dealer and although some of the hands He has dealt us over the years were incredibly challenging, He was definitely the one that kept us in the game.

When the bible talks about rejoicing with the "wife of your youth" in Prov. 5:18, my story is succinctly summarized.

Not sure if I'll have time to post from the boat, but if not, I'll be back with more meanderings upon our return on the 29th.

2 comments:

Bryonm said...

Going to Mexico makes me think of immersion. I hope that there is NO kind of immersion that happens while out on that boat :)

Congratulations to you guys. It's so cool to see how the Lord has worked things out in your lives...

Unknown said...

Take Helen to teh most romantic taco stand you can find.