Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Paul and James...sight through the right filter

As I shared in my last post, the reality of the true and living God sitting at the controls of the universe He created is something most Christians say they believe in, at least intellectually. But the fact is, most of us don't perceive our day to day, moment to moment lives through that truth--we don't screen everything we see and experience through that lens, that filter.

The apostle Paul was obviously someone who did see things the proper way, as is clearly evident from what he communicated in his letter to the Philippians, particularly chapter 1, verses 12-26.
It's because of this truth and His understanding of the sovereignty of God that he could write with confidence what he expressed in Romans 8:28. Without God's absolute sovereignty over all things it would be impossible for ALL things to produce a good end for those that have a personal, interactive relationship with their Creator.

But what does perceiving things through that filter look like moment to moment for those today that know Him and trust in His control of all things?

I'll try and share a few things that I've learned, but that will have to wait until I have some further time. For now, I must proceed with doing things and meeting with people that I have been planning for the past month or so. I'll let you know in a few days how things unfolded.

James had a handle on this truth too. I'll close with what he had to say in James 4:13-16.

Seen any "God-connects" lately? If so, let me know.

Blessings,

Jeff

3 comments:

Mike Jones said...

My situation certainly doesn't even come close to what Paul was going through when he wrote the Philippians passage you referenced, or to what the Karen people are going though in your previous post. But the last week at work has been super busy and high strung due to an unexpected fraud that has been unraveling (potentially in the millions of dollars) – including out of town travel and lots of overtime. At the same time I am leading a short term missions team to visit Mike and Revae Lawrence in Costa Rica, leaving two weeks from tomorrow, so after work and on weekends I have been swamped with things to do as well. So I have been trying not to be anxious about the myriad of things that still need to be done before Costa Rica while I work on this special fraud project that came up out of nowhere and is dominating my time at the worst possible moment, and cutting into the very little time I can spend helping my wife with the kids. But your post about the challenge that the Karen people are facing (way beyond my little crisis) reminded me that God is sovereign and in control of everything and wants me to trust Him rather than be anxious – thank you for that post!

So lo and behold, one or two days later, the second trip to NYC that I was no doubt going to have to take is now looking like it won’t happen at all. Thank you Lord! And many other little “God-connects” have happened in the last few days – I could use the exact words that you used you your post: “It would take way too long to explain to you the number of ways that God showed His sovereignty afresh over the last few days, but He certainly has. There are no accidents or coincidences if the God of the scripture is who He claims to be. Why then are we continually surprised when we see Him orchestrating things like this?” Very true words, I am ashamed to say that I am continually surprised at what happens when I exercise just a wee bit of faith! I pray that God will continue to teach me how and remind me to view things through the sovereign God filter/perspective and continue to grow my faith.

Thank you for the post!

Oppenheim said...

Hi Jeff!

We had a very special God-connect incident recently. Friends of ours were visiting from Indonesia on furlough, sharing their vision to begin an orphanage, as well as to distribute care packages of food to orphans and widows as they are able.

Our daughter got down on her knees and begged us to be able to go back to Indo with the family to help with the orphanage.

When we told her that was going to take some time before there was an orphanage, her quick response was, "But I can help give food to the widows! please, I want to be a missionary!"

Lets just say after much prayer, and Gods timing in all things, she is currently in Indo, with Steve scheduled to join her soon and accompany her on the flight home.
We rejoice in the opportunity God has given her, along with her heart so eager to go.

God bless you and your family Jeff,
Thanks be to God so glad to hear you are doing well!

Jeff Jackson said...

Mike, Steve...thanks for sharing your "God-connects" and letting me know that what I'm writing is understandable to at least a few people. Jeff